Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions
Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions and a balsamic drizzle is my favorite new summer salad! My
guinea pig neighbor said it was the best salad she’s ever eaten! Maybe she was just being nice, but I have to agree. AND….It’s soooo easy because the goat cheese medallions only take minutes to make and well, how hard can it be to put some baby spinach, red onion and a sprinkle of nuts in a bowl…really!
It’s also pretty low-carb because when you use a balsamic reduction you only use a tiny bit, less than a teaspoon! You don’t need much because the flavor is very rich.
Goat cheese medallions top off the salad with a warm, crunchy outside soft inside savory flavor that pairs well with the balsamic reduction. Watermelon! Who can get enough of a red ripe watermelon in the summer, right? Goat Cheese Medallion Recipe
Watermelon is a great way to stay hydrated. God planned our food so well with each season. Your colon is able to extract water from fiber and send it through a vein that goes to your liver and hydrates your entire body! You actually get better hydration from fibrous veggies and fruits than from drinking water. Who knew! Check out more amazing health benefits of watermelon, including a surprise…watermelon is known to improve male ED. So dish it up for him honey :0)
I mean really, don’t these crispy goat cheese medallions, the beautiful red watermelon and the balsamic drizzle make your mouth water? Then add the crunch of the slivered almonds! TDF for sure! Goat Cheese Medallion Recipe
I make the goat cheese medallions as soon as I come home from the store. So simple, just open the package, slice them into 1 ounce rounds (hint…if the package is 5 ounces then you slice it into 5 rounds). No worries if it crumbles apart, just pat it back together again.
I freeze the rounds individually on a cookie sheet and then put them in a zip loc freezer bag. You can get the goat cheese medallion recipe here.
If you like the texture of crunchy with soft warm insides, crisp fresh salad and a nice sweet tart finish you will seriously love Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions and a balsamic drizzle. Goat Cheese Medallion Recipe
About the balsamic drizzle…it’s pretty easy to make by just cooking down a good quality balsamic vinegar, but really, why bother. Costco carries a brand called Nonna Pia’s Balsamic Glaze. It’s a true reduction with no junk or thickeners. You can drizzle right from the bottle! No mess…it’s also on amazon. Nonna Pia’s Balsamic Glaze
Funny side note, just to make you smile. The silly autocorrect kept wanting me to type Gonna Pia instead of Nonna Pia. he he …
For more healthy recipe ideas check out my Pinterest Page; Wonderfully Well
Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or any kind of greens you like
- 1 cup sliced watermelon
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds or any type of chopped nut
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 goat cheese medallions or 1 ounce goat cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon Nanas Balsamic Reduction
- 1 teaspoon good quality olive oil
- dash Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- dash Cayenne optional
- Make Goat Cheese Medallions here, http://thewellnessworkshop.org/gluten-free-baked-goat-cheese-medallions/
- Layer in a bowl in this order
- watermelon chunks
- sliced red onion
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Toss well
- Put in serving dish or bowl
- Top with Goat Cheese Medallions
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction (you don’t need much)
- September 12, 2022 Slimed…that’s what I call it when someone you love or are trying to help attacks you out of their own pain and sin. You feel like you’ve been puked on, and it’s hard to get rid of that feeling. Can you relate? Now I’m not talking about getting in a fight that you had a part in, I’m talking about that sudden slam to the heart and soul you just weren’t expecting. What is your initial reaction? Self-deprecation? Fear? Or maybe you want to attack them back? Or maybe you just walk around feeling gross and dirty. You’ve been slimed. I’ve experienced it more than once, I bet you have too. How should we handle this when we are in covenant with Christ? That interaction was NOT from God, although He can use it for your benefit. First, we must realize that ANY condemnation, words or actions that make us feel worthless, useless, hopeless, is not from God. John 3:17 says “for God did not send his son to condemn the world but that the world might be saved through Him.” So right off the bat realize, this isn’t from God, it’s from the enemy of your soul, satan. For some reason he wants to throw you off guard or set you back in your faith or your influence. When the Holy Spirit convicts of sin it’s not condemning, it’s an arm around the shoulder, showing you your error and offering you forgiveness and a better way. Romans 8:1 tells us there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. So, stop the self-deprecation immediately and take authority over that foul spirit! Take authority over the foul spirit behind the “sliming” Sliming usually brings fear and/or rejection, so take authority over that foul spirit. Say it like you mean it… “spirit of fear and/or spirit of rejection I command you to bow to the name of Jesus Christ and leave in Jesus Name. You have no power over me, and I bind you from my life and this situation and command you to go wherever Jesus Christ sends you and not return… I receive God’s truth that God has not given me a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind, according to 2 Timothy 1:7 and I receive that power, love and a sound mind from my heavenly father. I also receive that I am accepted in the Beloved, Jesus Christ and because of Jesus I can cry out Abba, Father and receive the comfort of the Holy Spirit.” Second, confess any sin the Holy Spirit brings to mind Just ask if there is anything you did to initiate this event or open the door for it. Did you participate in something with this person that was more fleshly than godly and open a door for the enemy to rush in. Check in with God about it by praying Psalm 139:23-24 23Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting. Third, follow Psalm 119: 69 – 69Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. Here’s a “Celeste” version of Psalm 119:69 “Though…(this individual) has “slimed me”…I keep your precepts with all my heart. What are precepts? The Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance defines a precept as “a general rule intended to regulate behavior or thought”. Strong’s defines “heart” as your mind and will. So, our next prayer according to Psalm 119:69 “Heavenly Father, (this individual) has “slimed” me, but I am going to let your Holy Spirit regulate both my behavior and my thoughts. I choose to have my mind and will controlled by you and the fruit of the spirit, rather than my flesh. Your word says to forgive offenses, I choose to forgive (this individual). Your word says to bless those who curse you and pray for those who despitefully use you. I bless this person and ask you to show me practical ways to bless them. I also ask you to meet their needs and bless them with your presence. I thank you for the cleansing power of the blood of Jesus. I ask you to cover this situation and my life with the blood of Jesus, and remove every accusation of the enemy in Jesus’ name. ” It Works! I guarantee that even if the situation has not changed, you won’t “feel slimed” any longer, and God will continue to show you how to pray over that circumstance and individual, and you WILL see God work in amazing ways. Keep these simple steps in your back pocket and in your heart. We all get slimed, not because people are bad, but because the enemy of our soul does not want us to walk in peace and joy. Romans 14:17-18 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval. By Celeste Davis, Your God-Made-Health-Mentor Need help removing the slime and walking in the freedom Jesus Christ promises? Check out my program, Dancing Through Life! http://thewellnessworkshop.org/programs/dancingthroughlife/ ... Read on...
- June 23, 2020Jump to Recipe Print RecipeGluten Free Blueberry Orange Muffins are a great treat any time of year! In the US, summer is here and we are all excited to share fun times with family and friends. Whether camping, renting a VRBO or just inviting friends over, food can be healthy and enjoyable too! However, for the individual that must eat gluten free it can also be sad and frustrating. Enter Gluten Free Blueberry Orange Muffins. These are muffins EVERYONE will enjoy…just don’t tell them they are gluten free. To the non-gluten free crowd they are Oatmeal Blueberry Orange Muffins…and it’s not a lie! Another BONUS is low sugar…these are made with Lankato Monk Fruit Sweetener so the only sugar in this muffin is from the blueberries…Sweet! The nutrition facts are in the recipe notes. Coconut flour and Oatmeal provide energy, blueberries help protect your skin from too much sun and the beneficial fats will go to your joints. What a perfect quick breakfast treat. Did I say they freeze well? You can keep these in a freezer container without worrying about hindering taste or texture for up to a month. Make some now for your vacation or company, warm them in the oven and everyone will think you are amazing. Notice the great texture. Gluten free products are often gummy without a satisfying “mouth feel.” You can see from the picture these muffins have great texture, warm or cold. Be sure and let them sit for about 10 minutes out of the oven. They will be perfectly warm and hold together. Coconut flour muffins are often made with tons of eggs, which also affects the texture. 3 eggs combined with flaxseed create a nice texture. This recipe makes 20 medium sized muffins, maybe 22 if you don’t keep tasting them like I did! About the ingredients…this uses coconut flour and gluten free oatmeal. The sugar is a combination of erythritol and monk fruit. This is my first recipe using this sugar and I must admit the texture and taste are just like real sugar! Nutrition Data Calories 148 Carbs 24 gr Protein 4 gr Fat 7 g Fiber 5 gr Sugar 6 gr Net Carbs 19 gr *Sugar is only from blueberries If you want to save all these delicious muffins for yourself and give the non-healthy eaters the same version, try my Lemony Blueberry Muffins made with sprouted spelt flour. Just don’t tell them it’s healthy! The Sweetener… Product Links Are you unfamiliar with some of the ingredients in Gluten Free Blueberry Orange Muffins? To make it easy on you I have added product links. You can purchase through amazon and I get a VERY small commission and it doesn’t cost you any more. I do think the links are helpful so you know what you are looking for if you are at the store. Save Money! Costco has many of these products at a much lower price. For example the exact Monk Fruit sweetener, same size at Costco was around $8, twice that much other places. The coconut yogurt seems especially high on Amazon, so do your price shopping. PET FOOD WORD OF CAUTION Coconut oil and possibly erythritol could be dangerous for your pets. So if your family is in the habit of sharing treats with the pups or kitties, you might not want to use this recipe. My dog only gets carrots, cabbage and cucumbers so he’s not at risk. Use wisdom with your own family. More about erythritol IBS WORD OF CAUTION Erythritol can cause problems such as diarrhea or excess gas for some people. It is a sugar alcohol but without the side effects of other sugar alcohols such as xylitol and malitol. Print Recipe Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins Delicious gluten free muffins made with coconut flour and oatmeal, extra fiber from ground flax meal and of course melt in your mouth blueberries. Don't tell "them" the muffins are gluten free...they will never know! Prep Time15 minsCook Time30 mins Course: BrunchCuisine: AmericanKeyword: gluten free dairy free muffins Servings: 20 muffins Calories: Equipment2 large bowlsblender, mixer or blend stickmedium muffin panpaper muffin cups Ingredients1 1/2 cups Coconut Flour1 cup Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Oats1/2 cup Bobs Red Mill golden flax meal**3/4 cup Lankato Monk Fruit brown sweetener with Erythritol or Trim Healthy Mama Super Sweet1 teaspoon cinnamon2 heaping teaspoons baking powder1/2 heaping teaspoon baking soda1/2 heaping teaspoon salt2 cups non-dairy yogurt kefir or milk*1/2 cup fresh orange juice about 1 large orange2 Tablespoons orange zest from 1 large orange1/3 cup coconut oil melted3 large eggs2 teaspoons vanilla2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries InstructionsCombine dry ingredients, stir wellCombine wet ingredients in a magic bullet and blend well*If using a non-dairy milk add 2 Tablespoons raw apple cider vinegarMake a hole in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredientsStir until all is moistened. texture resemble a thick batterAdd blueberries and gently stir to combinePut in muffin cups, I use a large scoop to fill muffin cups, pat down into cupPlace extra blueberries on top of batter in muffin cups, push down a littlePreheat oven to 400Reduce to 350Bake about 30 minutes until lightly browned and firm to touchAllow to cool 10 minutes before serving or moving to a baking rack to cool NotesMake Ahead, They Freeze Well. Freeze individually on a cookie sheet and store for up to 1 month in freezer bags Allow to thaw before consuming or put in warm oven to reheat for about 10 minutes ... Read on...
- June 21, 2020Jump to Recipe Print Recipe Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions and a balsamic drizzle is my favorite new summer salad! My guinea pig neighbor said it was the best salad she’s ever eaten! Maybe she was just being nice, but I have to agree. AND….It’s soooo easy because the goat cheese medallions only take minutes to make and well, how hard can it be to put some baby spinach, red onion and a sprinkle of nuts in a bowl…really! It’s also pretty low-carb because when you use a balsamic reduction you only use a tiny bit, less than a teaspoon! You don’t need much because the flavor is very rich. Goat cheese medallions top off the salad with a warm, crunchy outside soft inside savory flavor that pairs well with the balsamic reduction. Watermelon! Who can get enough of a red ripe watermelon in the summer, right? Goat Cheese Medallion Recipe Watermelon is a great way to stay hydrated. God planned our food so well with each season. Your colon is able to extract water from fiber and send it through a vein that goes to your liver and hydrates your entire body! You actually get better hydration from fibrous veggies and fruits than from drinking water. Who knew! Check out more amazing health benefits of watermelon, including a surprise…watermelon is known to improve male ED. So dish it up for him honey :0) I mean really, don’t these crispy goat cheese medallions, the beautiful red watermelon and the balsamic drizzle make your mouth water? Then add the crunch of the slivered almonds! TDF for sure! Goat Cheese Medallion Recipe I make the goat cheese medallions as soon as I come home from the store. So simple, just open the package, slice them into 1 ounce rounds (hint…if the package is 5 ounces then you slice it into 5 rounds). No worries if it crumbles apart, just pat it back together again. I freeze the rounds individually on a cookie sheet and then put them in a zip loc freezer bag. You can get the goat cheese medallion recipe here. If you like the texture of crunchy with soft warm insides, crisp fresh salad and a nice sweet tart finish you will seriously love Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions and a balsamic drizzle. Goat Cheese Medallion Recipe About the balsamic drizzle…it’s pretty easy to make by just cooking down a good quality balsamic vinegar, but really, why bother. Costco carries a brand called Nonna Pia’s Balsamic Glaze. It’s a true reduction with no junk or thickeners. You can drizzle right from the bottle! No mess…it’s also on amazon. Nonna Pia’s Balsamic Glaze Funny side note, just to make you smile. The silly autocorrect kept wanting me to type Gonna Pia instead of Nonna Pia. he he … For more healthy recipe ideas check out my Pinterest Page; Wonderfully Well Print Recipe Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions A crisp, juice sweet and savory salad. Toss together for a quick satisfying meal. This is also a great way to impress your guests. Prep Time1 hr 10 minsCook Time15 mins Course: SaladCuisine: AmericanKeyword: , goat cheese, watermelon salad, spinach salad Servings: 1 person Calories: Cost: $1.50 Ingredients2 handfuls baby spinach or any kind of greens you like1 cup sliced watermelon1 Tablespoon sliced almonds or any type of chopped nut1/4 cup sliced red onion2 goat cheese medallions or 1 ounce goat cheese crumbles1 teaspoon Nanas Balsamic Reduction1 teaspoon good quality olive oildash Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea saltdash Cayenne optional InstructionsMake Goat Cheese Medallions here, http://thewellnessworkshop.org/gluten-free-baked-goat-cheese-medallions/Layer in a bowl in this orderwatermelon chunkssliced red onionalmondsDrizzle olive oil and sprinkle with saltToss wellPut in serving dish or bowlTop with Goat Cheese MedallionsDrizzle with balsamic reduction (you don’t need much)Enjoy!... Read on...
- May 16, 2020Jump to Recipe Print Recipe Lemony Blueberry Banana Sprouted Spelt Muffins We are 6 weeks into the quarantine of 2020 and Phil and I, like most of the world, are craving more comfort foods! To loosely quote a line from the movie Julie and Julia, “in a world where nothing makes sense you can take milk, eggs, chocolate and sugar and make a chocolate pie.” and so, when we have stress we eat…and sometimes cook :0) We are sick of being fat. Seriously sick of it. The “quarantine 15 has got to go!” But…there is still the ingredients for Lemony, Blueberry, Banana Sprouted Spelt Muffins and so, like an alcoholic who takes one last drink before they quit…I made these amazing Lemony Blueberry Banana Sprouted Spelt Muffins. And. They. Are. Good. Lemony Blueberry Banana Spelt Flour Muffins. I got a “Hankering” to try my hand at a recipe for these after buying one at a high end bakery in town that was well…disappointing. Stick in your throat dry and the lemon flavor was barely noticeable. I worked hard at making these moist and flavorful. We will eat a few, bless our neighbors and remember, when the time is right again, this yummy treat…probably saved for company who are afraid of health foods like celery. It is a little healthier! Sprouted Spelt Flour is full of nutrients, and hasn’t been genetically modified. Kefir is also a nutrient dense fermented milk (think buttermilk). Organic Cane Sugar…well…it’s better than regular sugar. But there are Organic Blueberries! Yes! and Bananas and they are SUPER lemony. Enjoy. And then get back on track. Be Nourished 4 Life! Oh, by the way…to assist in removing our quarantine fat we are riding bikes, playing basketball and RUNNING LINES! Yikes! and on Monday (yes, Monday) we will do a 21 day cleanse to break our addictions and begin to nourish ourselves! What about you? Print Recipe Lemony Blueberry Banana Sprouted Spelt Muffins Makes 12 medium sized muffins or 20 mini muffinsBake at 375 F for 15-20 minutesThese are light and moist and VERY lemony! Prep Time20 minsCook Time20 mins Course: BrunchCuisine: American Servings: 12 medium muffins Calories: Cost: $7 Equipmentmedium muffin panSilicone or paper muffin cupsMeasuring cups and spoonsElectric hand or stand mixerMedium cookie scoop Ingredients2 cups organic white spelt flour1/4 cup organic sprouted spelt flour2 Tablespoons organic kefir2 teaspoons baking powder1/2 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt2/3 scant cup organic cane sugar or coconut sugar1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon2 large organic ripe bananas mashed2 large eggs1/2 cup organic butter melted1 Tablespoon organic vanilla2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice1 1/2 cups organic frozen blueberries1 Tablespoon white spelt flour3 Tablespoons grated lemon zest divided1 Tablespoon organic cane sugar InstructionsIn your stand up mixer or electric mixer beat together mashed bananas, eggs, sugar, melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla until well blended.Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. If you mix it too much your muffins will be tough.Sprinkle the frozen blueberries with 1 Tablespoon spelt flour and toss until all blueberries are coated with flour.Stir frozen blueberries into batter.Use a potato scoop to fill medium muffin cups.Mix 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest and 1 Tablespoon organic cane sugar until combined well.Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon lemon/sugar topping over each muffin.Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.Check. If tops are firm, remove from oven and allow to finish in the muffin cups (out of the oven) for another 5 minutes. If tops are soft, leave in oven for another 5 minutes.You can use regular wheat flour or Bob’s Red Mill One to One gluten free baking mix for spelt flour and sprouted spelt flour. NotesFrozen blueberries make the best muffins. Toss in flour to help them stick better in the muffins. You can use a baking tester to check the muffins to see if they are done in the middle. inspired by https://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2010/12/banana-blueberry-and-lemon-muffins.html or the love of cooking @ blogspot. NutritionServing: 1g... Read on...
- March 31, 2020Jump to Recipe Print Recipe In the midst of our first detox Celeste was making dinner and Phil said “If I have another salad I’m going to run out of here screaming! Print Recipe Phil’s Famous Kitchen Sink Soup This is our most popular soup. It is a favorite from our Affordable Healthy Eating classes and a staple at our house. We store some in the refrigerator to eat and put some in the freezer for later. Remove from freezer, thaw in refrigerator over night, warm on stovetop and serve. Servings: 6 Calories: Cost: $8 EquipmentLarge Crockpot or Soup pot, knives, cutting board Ingredients½ head of green cabbage4 carrots peeled and sliced1 large Yukon Gold potato chopped1 large yellow sweet onion chopped3 large cloves of garlic optional, minced4 large leaves of kale sliced thin1 small head broccoli chopped2 stalks celery chopped or sliced thinCelery leaves from the middle of the celery stalk1 14-15 oz size can organic Italian style diced tomatoes1 teaspoon dried Basil1 teaspoon dried red pepper1-2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt1-2 Tablespoons Grape seed oil can use less or even none to reduce fat2-3 teaspoons Organic Better than Bouillon vegetarian vegetable baseFiltered water InstructionsDilute Better than Bouillon in a pan of boiling filtered water, stir to dissolve.Put Grape seed oil in the bottom of your crock pot or soup kettle.Add all the veggies.With your hands, stir to coat all veggies with Grape seed oil. Stir in Celtic Sea Salt, basil and red pepper.Add the Bouillon mixture.Add filtered water cover veggies and stir well.Cook all day, in Crock-pot or 2 hours in oven or at least 1 hour on the stovetop, until veggies can be pierced with a fork.This can be frozen and reheated (not in microwave) or will last about 3 days in the fridge.Only reheat enough to eat at a time, not the whole pan. NotesYou can substitute 1-2 boxes of an organic veggie broth from Imagine, Pacific or Whole Foods 365 brand (watch for MSG words) for the Better Than Bouillon base if you like. **You can add any of your favorite veggies and/or add a can of your favorite beans or a cup of cooked Quinoa for protein. He jumped up, ran to the fridge, got out every veggie in the fridge and Phil’s Kitchen Sink Soup was born. It has been a favorite of our Whole Foods Cooking Class students since 2006.... Read on...
- November 23, 2019Jump to Recipe Print Recipe Brain Focus Smoothie, aka the “Better Than Adderall Smoothie” increases brain power and focus for study or work. Healing to the entire body. My friend recently reminded me that Adderall is becoming quite popular among young students and even executives. They use Adderall to increase focus and create a sense of endurance. What’s so bad about that? Adderall is a chemical cousin to Methamphetamine and dangerous for those who don’t really need it to control a true medical problem. This Brain Focus Smoothie “Better Than Addreall” is based on recommendations in this article, Natural Alternatives to Adderall (1), made by Ehsan Ali, MD, the Beverly Hills Concierge doc. Let this true story convince you of the long term crisis Adderall can create in your life…or the life of your child – from the New York Times, Generation Adderall. (2) We send our children to college to learn to work hard and get a good education so they can be successful in life. The Brain and the Physical Body are the vehicles for hard work, good grades and overall success! It doesn’t matter how much you “know” or what kind of skills you develop if your brain and/or your body don’t work properly for the rest of your life…am I crazy here? So to end my rant, if you are a college student, a young adult trying to “work your way to the top” or a parent, close friend or significant other to any of the above, ENCOURAGE proper self-care. IF you are a high-school or college professor, administrator or decision maker, PLEASE consider making proper self-care part of the every day life of your students. THIS is the most important tool they can carry through life. Anyone, at any age, can learn to use a computer, calculator, negotiate, speak in public or write a paper, but if they don’t have their brain and their body these skills are USELESS! My rant is over…now to the smoothie… The Brain Focus Smoothie is great for us older folks too…improve cognition, memory and feel happier! Phil and I enjoy one every day. The ingredients in this smoothie are known to increase alertness, and help you sleep better. Food, rather than drugs, will increase your performance putting you WAY above your competitors or classmates who use Adderall because you won’t have crashes, anxiety attacks, schizophrenia, depression, or psychosis, to name a few. If you are a senior and concerned about too many “senior moments” this smoothie is for you! Brain Focus Smoothie Recipe Magic Bullet or high speed blender or shaker cup if you don’t use any fruit Layer in this order: 1 cup filtered cold water or your favorite alternative carrageenan free milk 1 scoop ProPeas Plant Protein – Clean, vegan, useable concentrated plant protein 2 teaspoons of Cocoa LeafGreens 1 Tablespoon Navitas Raw Cacao 2 Tablespoons Organic Chia Seeds (white or black) I use white chia seeds in my chia pudding (only because it looks better) and black chia seeds in everything else… 1-2 cups raw organic spinach ½ cup fresh or frozen berries (blueberries or any fruit you like) blueberries make it purple rather than green – spinach will give it a green hue with lighter fruits like mango/pineapple. Fresh or frozen cranberries are my current fav and give it a pink hue. Optional: Ice, ½ banana, 2 Tablespoons Almond butter (the almond butter helps you stay full longer) Make Your Smoothie Into a Bowl by using less liquid and topping with yummy crunchies like crushed nuts and seeds. FOODS THAT INCREASE BRAIN POWER Fish: Salmon, Trout, Halibut Red Meat: Grass Fed Hamburger, Steak, Bison Black Beans Bean Salsa Salad (page 233 in original spiral bound Wonderfully Well book or Page 253 in Amazon paperback version https://amzn.to/2PJylqi Nuts and Nut Butter German Chocolate Brain Bombs http://thewellnessworkshop.org/german-chocolate-brain-bombs/ Coconut Oil Avocado FOODS THAT INHIBIT BRAIN POWER AND ALTER FOCUS Sugar Non-sprouted wheat products (regular breads and pastas) Trans Fats and Damaged fats found in fast foods and processed foods and junk food Alternative sugars such as Splenda, and all the pink and yellow packets and foods made with Sucralose (these kill brain cells) Sodas, including diet sodas (these kill brain cells) Alcohol Affiliate disclaimer: There are affiliate links to some products in this smoothie recipe. I only recommend products I use and know to be of the highest quality. Purchasing through these links does not cost you any more money but does help to support the valuable information in this site. ProPeas Plant Protein“Assists with weight management. Helps build and maintain healthy muscles. Improves circulation and calcium absorption. Increases energy and endurance. Provides a feeling of fullness (satiety). Boosts metabolism. Vegetable protein promotes a healthy pH balance. Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, & Certified Vegan”. (4) ProPeas Plant Protein is the cleanest protein powder you can buy. All AIM products are tested to be pesticide and herbicide free and tested for over 300 other contaminants. It is a low carb, high protein concentrated pea protein, not an isolate. All the cofactors needed to make this protein useful are in the product. AIM Fit’n Fiber is a simple and delicious way to add more brain power to your smoothie. The connection between the brain gut micro biome functions are highly researched. The graph below shows how butyrate in fiber impacts brain related dysfunctions. Simply put, butyrate supplies “brain food” (neuro = brain, trophic = food) to the hippocampus, the brain’s hub for memory and emotions. This gives birth to new neurons, called neurogenesis, a process that can reshape the brain. (6) Cocoa LeafGreens is an alkalizing chocolate with 4 types of leafy greens and broccoli sprouts to enhance brain function and overall health. Contains the flavonoids kaempferol and quercetin not found in all greens products 0 grams of sugar High levels of natural chlorophyll, 21 mg per serving Contains the recommended 400 µg of sulforaphane per daily serving Barley leaf, spinach, kale, arugula, Swiss chard and broccoli sprout powders and cocoa powders Vegetable source of potent antioxidants, flavonoids and other vital nutrients Boosts mood and cognitive function Cleansing, energizing chocolaty greens (5) Choose a Carrageenan-free Alternative Milk Costco Almond Milk: https://amzn.to/2NPY6mk 365 Whole Foods Almond Milk: https://amzn.to/2MTlhMT Homemade Almond Milk (delish, cheap and easy) (pg 242 spiral bound Wonderfully Well) Get Wonderfully Well on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2PJylqi Sources (1) 5 All Natural Replacements for Adderall (2) Generation Adderall (3) 7 WORST Foods for Your Brain (4) ProPeas Concentrated pea protein (5) AIM Cocoa LeafGreens (6) Health Benefits of Butyrate from Fiber (7) Adderall Side Effects... Read on...
- October 2, 2019Jump to Recipe Print Recipe OMGosh these are T.D.F. (to die for)! Serve with over baby spinach with Aunt Pauline’s Tomato and Cucumber Salad. They make a great “company salad” for your next BBQ…so easy with this Spinach Watermelon Salad, just a few minutes to prep, plate and serve. When you avoid gluten and cow’s milk dairy, you really miss some textures. Crunchy bite wth a soft creamy interior…these Goat Cheese Medallions fill the ticket! This recipe has a few “steps” but is really very easy to create and worth the time and effort. Kirkland Fresh Goat Cheese at Costco has the best buy on goat cheese, twice as much for the same price at other grocery stores; around $7.00 for two 10.5-ounce rolls. But you can usually get goat cheese at any grocery deli case. It’s OK to purchase a larger amount than you plan to use; it freezes well. Haven’t tried goat cheese? It is a little stronger flavor than cow’s milk cheese with the consistency of cream cheese. Organic goat cheese tends to have a milder flavor. Like cream cheese, goat cheese tends to take on the flavors of whatever you combine it with so you can be creative and add your favorite flavors. You can make it sweet, savory or leave it plain. Another favorite salad for these medallions is my Spinach Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions with a Balsamic Reduction. A real show stopper for company or a quick salad when you are on the run. I cut my goat cheese rounds according to the ounces on the package so each round is 1 ounce. You’ll notice you can get 20 rounds from this Costco package that costs around $7.00 US. A 3 ounce package at my local grocery runs around $5 and an organic 3 ounce package costs the same as the Costco 20 ounce package. It’s so simple to cut the rounds, freeze individually and then when you are ready to eat, pull out, dip in the panko crumbs and pan fry or bake. When these are frozen I’ll put them in a zip loc baggie and be sure to write what they are and the date. I also love to use a gluten free Panko crumb like Vans, with Everything Bagel seasoning. You can get a lifetime size jar of Everything Bagel at Costco, I prefer the mix from Savory Spice shop, but admittedly Costco is more economical. Try it on any cooked veggie…or even in your salad…YUMMM! Look at the mouth watering crispy crust on the soft warm cheese inside, TDF (to die for). These literally take minutes! The corn bread breading is seasoned with my favorite: Tones Garlic Rosemary Seasoning I LOVE this seasoning…it’s great on chicken and roasted veggies too! Print Recipe Gluten Free Goat Cheese Medallions Finger or Fork, these gluten free baked goat cheese medallions are easy to make, store well and delicious! Course: AppetizerCuisine: MediterraneanKeyword: goat cheese medallions, baked goat cheese rounds, gluten free goat cheese medallions, goat cheese appetizer Calories: EquipmentBaking SheetParchment Paper Ingredients4-5 oz organic goat cheese “log” organic goat cheese tends to have a milder flavor1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten free cornbread mix1 egg1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard½ teaspoon Tones Rosemary Garlic Seasoning or any of your favorite seasoningDash Ground white pepper1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt to taste InstructionsPrepare the Goat CheeseCut the goat cheese into 8 slices, compress each slice into a “ball” and then flatten. Freeze the slices for 15 minutes to firmPrepare the breadingWhip one egg with 1 teaspoon Dijon MustardDivide the cornbread mix into 2 different plates Add Tones Garlic & Rosemary seasoning (no MSG), and salt and pepper to one of the plates of cornbread mix, leave the other plate plain Bread the Goat Cheese MedallionsDip each cold round as follows:Plain cornbread mixEgg mixtureSeasoned cornbread mixPlace breaded rounds on a plate or cookie sheet lined with parchment paperNOTE You can prepare these ahead of time… Chill in freezer for 15 minutes (or longer)Bake Goat Cheese MedallionsPreheat oven to 450 F Bake chilled (or frozen) goat cheese rounds in oven for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned.To get a browner crust you can lightly spray tops of rounds with a coconut or olive oil cooking spray.Rounds are ready when top is crispy and cheese is soft. Serve over a bed of baby spinach topped with Aunt Celeste's Cucumber Tomato SaladCan also be panfried in a good quality olive oil, approximately 1 minute per side until brown and crispy. NotesCan be frozen for 1 month in an airtight freezer container or freezer bag. If frozen, it may take a few minutes longer to bake.Enjoy with your favorite salad, excellent with Aunt Pauline’s Cucumber Tomato Salad.... Read on...
- September 30, 2019Jump to Recipe Print Recipe The combination of this Soothing Heartburn Smoothie and AIM BarleyLife are powerful, not only for relief, but for healing! Joe called in a panic, I am so sick with heartburn. I went to the ER and they checked everything, even ran me through “the tube”…everything is OK! What can I do to stop this pain and sickness?. I suggested a serving of The Garden Trio immediately. The Garden Trio are 3 of the most healing juices, BarleyLife, JustCarrots and Redibeet. The next day Joe texted me…Garden Trio worked like magic! Joe didn’t have the ingredients for this soothing heartburn smoothie, but Emily was amazed at how quickly it nipped her heartburn and GERD in the bud! Pineapple assists in digestion, cucumber is anti-inflammatory, celery soothes the digestive tract, ProPeas Protein Powder is an extremely clean and affordable protein powder, which alkalizes the gut and contains amino acids necessary for repair..add a teaspoon of AIM BarleyLife for even more healing power! CVS pulls Zantac and other stomach meds containing potentially cancer causing substance, Ranitidine. Once again, the dangers of pharmaceutical drugs are exposed as the FDA announced last month that the popular GERD and Acid Reflux over the counter drug, Zantac, and generic versions contain toxic levels of known carcinogen, Ranitidine. This heartburn smoothie will work magic on your tummy! Try it and see! Need something quick and easy? Another MAGIC food is the juice of young barley grass. We use AIM BarleyLife daily and many of our students have found immediate relief AND healing of Heartburn, Acid Reflux, GERD and other digestive disorders. It’s easy to use too! Just put one teaspoon in a shaker cup, shake and drink! AND it’s very affordable, just about 56 cents per serving. With AIM BarleyLIfe you are not only getting fast, comforting relief, you are sending your body healing goodness. More info on AIM BarleyLife ... Read on...
- September 8, 2019Jump to Recipe Print RecipeJump to Recipe Print Recipe This Fabulous Gluten Free Pizza Crust is delicious, has a great texture and holds all your toppings without getting soggy or saggy. Phil and I have been together since 1973 so we’ve had many “firsts” in our lives. The first time we both had “store bought” pizza was in 1973 at Pietros Pizza in Salem, Oregon. I think our mom’s probably made the box of Chef-Boyardee pizza at home. Uhhh…that was NOT the same! This was also the first time we spent any time together. We were on a group date, we were with other people, not each other. I must say it was love at first sight…for pizza and for each other! Our pizza choice was the one with the fresh tomatoes on top, and we also both enjoyed the Hula Lula, which has fresh pineapple on top. I’ve only seen these styles of pizza on the west coast. It was also our first love for each other. We both remember Phil driving away in Dave Radke’s car with his date and looking back at me as I walked across the street with my date…our eyes met and the rest is history. We were an “item” in a matter of weeks and still are in love today. We love onions, peppers, grass fed ground beef and organic nitrate free pepperoni on our pizza. We LOVE pizza and have purchased pizza from our favorite pizza place, Marco’s here in Tennessee about once a month. We love Marco’s Pizza but…it’s not gluten free so this isn’t the best for Celeste, AND one pizza costs about $30 by the time you add tip, tax and delivery. Yikes! That is a lot of moo-lah for us retired on 2k folks, he he… Hey Phil! He Likes It! Phil loves this Gluten Free Pizza and if he likes it then I know I can make it regularly…BONUS! This “Everything” pizza only cost us $6…that is a $24 savings, so we can have pizza 4 times a month! This Fabulous Gluten Free Pizza Crust is super simple to make, it only took me about 10 minutes from mixing to the oven. I baked the crust while I was prepping the toppings and making the sauce. Then another 15 minutes in the oven to melt the cheese…so no longer than it takes to get a delivery pizza but sooo much better and better for us! Prebake gluten free pizza crust on parchment paper directly on the oven rack for a nice crisp firm crust. West Coast style pizza is quite different from anything we’ve experienced here in Tennessee, which leans more towards a New York style Italian influence. You know the big floppy pieces you fold in half that are dripping with oil, and of course we like those too. However, our true love is the West Coast style with fresh tomatoes or pineapple on top. Today we enjoyed fresh heirloom tomatoes on our Fabulous $6 dollar Gluten Free Pizza. Yummm! Print Recipe Fabulous Gluten Free Pizza This gluten free crust has a wonderful firm texture, it’s not soggy or saggy. You will make this on a sheet of parchment baking paper, directly on the oven rack. This gives it a perfect firm but tender pizza crust. This recipe would also make yummy bread sticks. Prep Time15 minsCook Time30 mins Course: Main CourseCuisine: Italian Servings: 4 Calories: Cost: $6 EquipmentParchment baking paper, mixing bowl, measuring cups or food scale and measuring spoons, heavy spoon for mixing, cutting board or small cookie sheet for serving. Ingredients250 gr or 1-1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Baking Mix https://amzn.to/2ZJqlsZ50.4 gr or ¼ cup Bob’s Red mill Almond Flour https://amzn.to/315HN8q4 teaspoons Bob’s Red Mill aluminum free baking powder https://amzn.to/2LE1tK61 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt https://amzn.to/2HVwKXU1 -1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt1 Tablespoon good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil InstructionsMix up the crustMix dry ingredients in a large bowl – Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Baking Mix, Almond flour, baking powder and salt.Stir in yogurt and olive oil.Stir until forms a smooth ball, it will be soft, kind of like a biscuit crust.Form the crustTear off parchment paper just slightly smaller than your oven rack. This is what you will make your pizza crust on.Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten Free Baking mix on the parchment paper and spread it around.Put the ball of pizza dough on the parchment paper, smooth it out and press it out into a circle or oblong, whatever shape you like. If cracks form just push them together with your fingers. Make the crust as thick as you like, but not paper thin. It will rise a little while baking. Dock the dough by poking it with a fork, this keeps it from puffing up. Brush the pizza top with olive oil, including the crust.Prebake the crust Bake the pizza dough on the oven rack (no toppings yet, for 15 minutes at 400 F (200 C)Carefully remove the dough from the oven rack. Don't burn yourself or break the crustAssemble PizzaWe use 10 slices Boar’s head nitrate free pepperoni, and ¼ pound grass fed hamburger, thin sliced onions, peppers and 6 ounces of your favorite cheese. We like to use an organic cheese. In this picture we used organic cheddar and organic pepper jack.Layer toppings in this orderSauce Cheese, you can use grated, sliced or crumblesMeats (if used)Veggies (if used) Finish Baking PizzaBake at 425 F (220 C) for another 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow pizza to rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. I like to top with fresh minced basil. NotesWe like our pizza “West Coast Style” with fresh tomato slices on top! This pizza was a real treat because we had fresh heirloom tomatoes on top. Allow pizza to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with a crisp salad. This Fabulous Gluten Free Pizza is also yeast-free and could be dairy free if you use an almond or coconut yogurt. I think if you use an alternative yogurt you might want to put some garlic and herbs in the crust to avoid a strong coconut or almond tasting crust. If you are allergic to the almond flour you can replace it with the same amount of Bob’s 1-1 Gluten Free Baking mix or another nut flour. I would not use oat flour as it would be too crumbly. The Gluten Free Pizza crust has a nice firm yet tender crust to hold all your toppings. I love to dip my pizza end crust in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You can see that the end crust is also nice and firm . One final thought…the ingredients to make this pizza can be spendy the first time you purchase them, but once they are a part of your pantry you can make a $6 pizza too! I purchase a pound of grass fed ground beef and divide it into 1/4 pound patties and freeze individually. So I just pulled one out to fry up for a topping. I also purchase our Boar’s Head Nitrate Free Pepperoni in 1 pound packages, then divide and freeze in ziplock baggies. This is how we get our price on our pizza down so low.... Read on...
- September 1, 2019Jump to Recipe Print RecipeStephanie Carmichael is an inspirational speaker and author of the book Victory Over Cancer and Fear. She is a two-time breast cancer survivor and has learned how to have joy and peace in the midst of the storm of cancer. Stephanie currently serves in Stonecroft ministries, an evangelistic outreach speaking ministry. She has travelled across the Pacific Northwest as an inspirational speaker since 2010. Stephanie’s heart is to reach out to people who are diagnosed with cancer to help them walk through the fear and gain a new peace and increased faith. There is joy to be found even in the battlefield of cancer – peace in the midst of the storm, and that is victory! She and her husband Mark have also served as leaders and teachers in the Ministry Training Institute at their local church in Bend, Oregon since 2003. http://traffic.libsyn.com/thewellnessworkshop/The_Wellness_Show_2016-05-03.mp3 Podcast: Play in new window | Download Subscribe: RSS... Read on...