Key Lime Pie
Here are some things we learned when making this treat:
Pan Size: It will make a nice thick pie if you make this particular recipe in a small springform pan (6 inch, no bigger than 8 inch).
How to serve: Put the pie in the freezer for up to an hour, remove and let sit for 10 minutes and then cut and serve. There are some fun ideas on serving at the end of this article. Put left over pie in freezer in a freezer container, it will keep about 2 weeks.
Crust: The crust is FABULOUS, reminds me of graham cracker crust with no wheat flour!
Lime Zest: Personally, I think the recommended lime zest is too much but the people in our class disagreed, they liked it as is. I recommend starting with about half the recommended amount of zest and adding more by taste until it is just right for you.
Key Lime Pie
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup of filberts toasted, hazelnuts
- 1 cup pecans toasted
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar or raw honey or 100% maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash vanilla
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch celtic sea salt
Key Lime Filling Ingredients
- 4 1/2 perfectly ripe avocados (soft to touch like a ripe peach not mushy, not hard & not black inside)
- 1/2- cup maple syrup can use less maple syrup and several drops of Stevia to cut sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed limejuice
- Zest of 2 organic limes
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons coconut oil melted **
- pinch salt
- Healthy dash of vanilla
Coconut Crème Fraiche Ingredients
- 15 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon raw local honey or more to taste optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or more to taste optional
- Dash Salt to taste optional
Crust Instructions-this crust is for an unbaked pie such as a cheesecake or cream pie, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine nuts and on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for a total of approximately 10-15 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
- Stir nuts about every 5 minutes and keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Definitely check color at 10 minutes. You can also toast on stovetop over medium heat in a heavy skillet, watch closely. Nuts tend to burn very quickly. Allow to cool prior to making crust.
Make the crust:
- Using S Blade in food processor: Turn food processor on first and pour nuts, a few at a time into the bowl through the top.
- Blend nuts until fine.
- Add rest of crust ingredients and pulse until well blended.
- Pat crust in bottom of lined pie pan. (you can grease w/ Grapeseed oil to make it come out easier, do not use coconut oil as it will stick and be hard to get out).
- Combine all ingredients in a good blender or food processor, blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into pie crust, chill for up to 1 hour in the freezer. Serve cold, topped dollop of coconut creme fraiche , a slice of kiwi, a mint sprig and some lime zest.
- ** If you are adding the coconut oil be sure it is melted, then as everything is blending pour it in a constant stream. Let the pie chill for a bit as the coconut oil will solidify and help the pie to be a little thicker.
Coconut Crème Fraiche Instructions
- Put can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight or at least for several hours.
- Open the can and you will see the coconut fat has hardened on top, scoop that out carefully, try not to get any of the water below.
- Save the coconut water to use in coconut soup, smoothies or ice cream. I usually just put it in a container in the freezer and write on the top what it is and the date.
- Put the fat into a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat with the honey, vanilla and salt until fluffy.
- Keep refrigerated and use soon after beating.
- Green Fruit Drizzle-Peel 1-2 kiwi and put in magic bullet with a drop of lime juice and some raw local honey, blend well. Add lime juice or honey for taste and consistency, you want it to be a syrup like consistency.
- Red Fruit Drizzle-Use raspberries instead of kiwi and do the same, about ½ cup of raspberries. Use a squeeze bottle to “squiggle” sauce on the plate, put the piece of pie on top and drizzle a little zig-zag on top, add a mint leaf sprig and a couple of raspberries for an ahhh from your guests.