Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins from Celeste Davis on Vimeo.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins – Spelt or Gluten Free
NOTE: In this video we used AIM Gluten Free Baking Mix, which has been discontinued. If you are Gluten Free I recommend and use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten Free Baking mix.
Everyone loves a chocolate chip muffin. I was introduced to them at the “Big Box Store” when I was fat, sick and tired…I certainly wouldn’t eat those muffins now so I had to find a healthy tasty alternative. I like to make up a batch as mini muffins (I make mine gluten free) and freeze 2 at a time in ziploc brand baggies. Put them in the hot sun to thaw and warm…yummy!
Why I use spelt: Spelt is an ancient form of wheat that has not been GMO or hybridized or changed by man. It has lower gluten and is often tolerated by people who cannot tolerate wheat. I especially love sprouted spelt. I love sprouted spelt flour from To Your Health Sprouted Flour: https://healthyflour.com/
Note: You will use 2 bowls because the way you combine the Ingredients affects the tenderness of the muffin. You also need muffin cups and a muffin pan.
“Big Box Store” Chocolate Chip Muffin…yeah I know you’ve had one…you’ll be shocked…(courtesy of calorieking.com)
- 689 Calories
- 38 gr fat (more than half a days worth of fat!)
- 125 mg cholesterol (almost 50% of RDA for cholesterol)
- 590 mg sodium (25% of the RDA for sodium)
- 79 grams of carbohydrate (more than half a days worth!)
- 48 gr sugar (12 teaspoons or over 3 TABLESPOONS of sugar)
Compare that to all of our muffin recipes containing 120 to 240 calories per medium sized muffin.
Compare Nutrition Data between Honey and Lankato Sweetener You Decide!
|Muffin Type||Calories||Carbs||Net Carbs||Protein||Fat||Fiber||Sugar|
|Big Box Store Chocolate Chip Muffin||689||79||38||48|
|This recipe Honey Regular Size||214||23||21||4||13||2||14|
|This recipe Lankato Regular Size||197||18||16||4||14||2||8|
|This recipe Honey Mini Size||107||11.5||10.5||2||6.5||1||7|
|This recipe Lankato Mini Size||97||9||8||2||7||1||4|
How can this knowledge help you? To lose weight or maintain weight loss keep your carbs and sugars down! Carbs under 120 grams and sugars under 30. You can have your cake and eat it too!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Muffin Pans, 24 mini or medium pans or 12 large cupcake pan
- 2 medium sized bowls
- grater or food processor with grating blade
- measuring cups & spoons
- Mixer or large spoon to mix
- cookie scoop - mini for mini muffins, regular size for medium muffins, large size for cupcakes
- 2 cups spelt flour I use half whole grain and half white sprouted spelt
- 1/2 cup organic dry cocoa I like Nativa raw cacao powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons aluminum free baking soda I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt could also use Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup local raw honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin unrefined coconut oil I use Nativa brand
- 3 large free eggs
- 1/4 cup grapeseed Veganaise
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon organic real vanilla extract
- 1 12 oz package Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups baby spinach pack it in
- 2 cups raw zucchini shredded
Low Carb Substitutions
- 1/2 cup Lankato Golden Monk Fruit Sweetener replace 1/2 cup raw honey
- 3/4 cup water substitute for 1/4 cup water in recipe
- Melt Coconut Oil in hot water, set aside.
- Get out your food processor with both the S blade and the shredding blade, 2 large mixing bowls, your measuring spoons and cups and a whisk and scraper.
- Grate zucchini with shredding blade of your food processor, set aside.
- Chop spinach with the S blade of your food processor...pulse to chop.
- Add the grated zucchini to the spinach in the food processor and pulse 2-3 times to break up the zucchini shreds and mix the zucchini and spinach.
- Rinse out your food processor and put it away.
- In one large bowl combine the whole grain and white spelt flour (or gluten free flour), cocoa, baking soda and baking powder and Celtic sea salt in a medium sized bowl. Use a wire whisk or fork and stir ingredients until well blended.
- In second large bowl combine honey,melted coconut oil, Grape seed Veganaise, water, eggs and real vanilla. Using a wire whisk, beat the liquid until well blended.
- Add half the dry Ingredients to the wet Ingredients and blend well.
- Then stir in the following: 2 cups shredded raw zucchini. 1/2 to 1 cup Enjoy Life! brand semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Add the other half of the dry Ingredients and stir until blended. Do not over beat.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins or paper muffin cups, a little over half full (about 1⁄4 to 1/3 cup if using regular sized muffin cups. Mini muffin cups are about 1 Tablespoon).
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-18 minutes.
- To check to see if they are done, gently push the top of one of the muffins; it should be soft but not mushy, like the Pillsbury doughboy’s tummy.
- Allow baked muffins to cool slightly before removing from muffin pan. Cool completely on a baking rack and eat or store. They should be stored in an air tight container or they store well in zip loc baggies in the freezer.
- To make as a snack cake in a 9x 13 pan, grease pan and the put batter into ban, spread evenly. Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes. To be sure it is done, put a sharp knife in middle of cake and pull out, it should come out clean (except for melted chocolate chips).
- FOR VEGAN (no eggs) replace eggs in wet Ingredients with the following: 3 teaspoons of Ener-g brand egg replacer 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, Tablespoon Grape seed Veganaise, 2 Tablespoons filtered water. Vegan muffins will be a little puffier and slightly drier in texture. Eliminating the eggs would also drastically reduce the fat and cholesterol content.
Using Lankato Gold Monk Fruit Sweetener-Follow regular instructions but make these substitutions
- Increase water to 3/4 cup
- Omit Honey, use 1/2 cup Lankato Monk Fruit Sweetener
To Make Red Velvet Cake with AIM RediBeets
- Add 1/4 cup RediBeets and increase water by 3 Tablespoons
Red Velvet Cake Substitutions: Substitute 2 medium beets for spinach and zucchini. For best results peel beets and run through juicer. Mix pulp and beet juice together and add when you would add the zucchini and spinach. I have made this for catering orders (for non-healthy people) and they LOVED it! I also added 1/4 cup AIM RediBeet powder for added nutrition. Link to RediBeets These were made into medium muffin sizes and topped with a butter cream frosting using organic ingredients. I must say they were TDF (to die for). And beautiful as well!
Gluten Free - substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free One-To-One Baking flour in exact measurements in place of all Spelt flour. Substitute Spelt Flour for Gluten Free substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free One-to-One flour in exact measurements. Save Money! Buy it here.
I am loving Lankato Monk Fruit Sweetener for baking. It has the right texture for recipes that use granulated sugar but you use MUCH less. The end product is perfect. Yep, it is a perfect substitute for sugar...don't tell them it's healthy, they will NEVER know! You can buy it through my amazon link and they also have it at Costco and Whole Foods Markets. NOTE: If you have IBS or are allergic to sugar alcohols be aware that this sweetener does contain erythritol and may not be a good choice for you. I have not noticed any problems in our home.